Apple Crisp Baked Apples are a fusion between the classic Apple Crisp and Baked Apple. Warm, tender baked apple topped with a delicious crunchy crisp. Serve with vanilla ice cream for an over-the-top dessert that everyone will love.
I’ve had a serious craving for apples lately. I’ve always had a sweet tooth and wanted an apple dessert but couldn’t decide between baked apple and apple crisp….so I made Apple Crisp Baked Apples! Yes, it tastes as good as it sounds.
Baked red apple, stuffed with diced green apple, topped with a delicious golden buttery crisp. Take it over the top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Start by pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees F.
Before you start cutting the apples, get the crisp topping mixture ready first. Combine 1/4 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
Cut 3/4 of a stick of butter into small cubes. Add the cubes of butter into the crisp topping mixture, then use your fingers to gently press the butter into the rest of the mixture. Don’t overwork the butter – small chunks of butter in this mixture are perfectly fine. Put this mixture in the fridge to keep the butter cold.
Next, cut the tops off 6 red apples, then remove as much of the core as you can. Don’t remove too much of the red apple pulp. Keep at least a quarter-inch of pulp from the red apple skin. I found that it’s easiest to do this with a small paring knife and a teaspoon. Use the paring knife to cut around the pulp, then use the teaspoon to remove it. A Melon Baller also works quite well.
Peel the skin off 2 small green apples, then cut them into small dices (discard the center core).
Pour 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of ground nutmeg and 1 teaspoon of sugar over the diced green apple. Mix well.
Line a baking sheet with Parchment Paper. Arrange the red apples on the baking sheet.
Fill the red apples with the diced green apple, then top them with the crispy topping mixture. I love lots and lots of this crispy topping so I pack them into small mounds over those apples 🙂
Bake for 45 minutes or until the crispy topping is golden brown.
Serve while they’re still warm. Pairs extremely well with vanilla ice cream 🙂
Apple Crisp Baked Apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cold cubed butter and mix with fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Don’t overmix; it’s okay to have small chunks of cold butter in this mixture.
- Put this topping mixture in the fridge to keep the butter cold.
- Cut the tops off the red apples, then remove the core. Don’t remove too much pulp. Keep at least a quarter inch of pulp from the skin. Tip: Use a paring knife to cut the core, then use a small teaspoon to scoop it out.
- Set aside the red apples.
- Peel the skin off the green apples, then dice them.
- Pour cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar over the diced green apple. Mix well.
- Fill the red apples with the diced green apple, then top them with the crispy topping mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream on the side.