Chinese Sweet Peanut Cream Dessert (Fah Sang Wu) is a Cantonese favorite that is full of rich peanut flavor and a super smooth velvety texture.
Fah Sang Wu is one of my favorite Cantonese desserts. It is a sweet peanut cream that is insanely rich in peanut flavor, and super velvety in texture.
This delicious Chinese Sweet Peanut Cream is served warm and here in Malaysia, it is typically enjoyed with a crispy red bean pancake on the side – a perfect match as the flavors complement each other so well!
How to Make Chinese Sweet Peanut Cream (Fah Sang Wu)
Note: If your blender is not able to grind the peanuts to a smooth consistency, you may wish to substitute the roasted peanuts for 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter instead (or read on for an alternative tip).
If you do use creamy peanut butter, choose one that has no added sugar, or reduce the amount of sugar you add later on in this process.
Blend the peanut mixture to a very smooth puree.
Pour the peanut cream mixture into a saucepan and set it over medium-high heat.
Add 1/4 cup of sugar…
….and 1 teaspoon of salt (I use pink Himalayan salt which is why it appears pink in the photo below).
When the peanut cream starts to boil rapidly, reduce the heat to medium, then allow the peanut cream to simmer for about 15 more minutes while stirring frequently to prevent it from burning.
After the cream has simmered, do a quick test for taste and consistency. If needed, add sugar and/or salt to your taste.
If the consistency is still a little bit gritty, allow the cream to cool down slightly, then blend it again for a minute or two. Simmering the cream would have given the peanuts a chance to soften, making it easier for the blender to puree it easily.
In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon rice flour with 1/4 cup water. Stir well to remove all of the clumps.
Pour the rice flour and water mixture into the peanut cream as it boils.
Stir constantly until it starts to thicken.
Garnish the Sweet Peanut Cream with chopped peanuts if desired, then serve it while it is still warm.
Chinese Sweet Peanut Cream Dessert (Fah Sang Wu)
- Pour roasted peanuts, sesame seeds and 3 cups water into a blender.
- Blend the peanut mixture into a fine puree.
- Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and set it over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Reduce the heat to medium and allow the peanut cream to simmer for 15 minutes while stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, combine rice flour with 1/4 cup water. Stir thoroughly to remove all clumps.
- Pour the rice flour and water mixture into the peanut cream. Stir constantly until it starts to thicken.
- Serve while still warm. Top with chopped roasted peanuts if desired.
ps – If you love peanuts, be sure to check out my Chinese Peanut Cookie recipe!
Or, if you need some ideas on how to utilize those leftover peanuts, here are some other recipes for you: