Stir-Fried Ginger Sesame Chicken with Bok Choy features tender marinated chicken paired with baby bok choy and mushrooms, stir-fried in a savory and tangy sauce. This decadent stir-fry is then served with steamed rice topped with a fried egg.
If you are looking to take your stir-fry to a whole new level, this Stir-Fried Ginger Sesame Chicken with Baby Bok Choy is for you!
Tender marinated chicken is paired with baby bok choy and mushrooms, then stir-fried in a savory and tangy sauce. This delicious stir-fry is served with steamed rice topped with a fried egg. I love to add just a splash of soy sauce on my fried egg for some extra flavor.
I use baby bok choy in this recipe but you may certainly use regular bok choy; just cut the bok choy into smaller pieces. You can also substitute the baby bok choy with just about any vegetable you may have on hand. Some ideas include broccoli, zucchini, carrots, baby corn, asparagus, and green bell pepper.
This easy recipe calls for just a few ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your pantry.
This simple but flavorful dish was inspired by one of my blog readers. She sent me an email with some ideas of ingredient combinations and I fell in love with this one. I put together a recipe for her based on her initial concepts, then asked for her permission to post this recipe here on my site.
I’m so glad that she agreed to let me post this because I get to share it with you! Thank you, Caroline!
How to Prepare Stir-Fried Ginger Sesame Chicken with Baby Bok Choy
Cut 4 boneless and skinless chicken thighs (approximately 1 1/2 pounds to 2 pounds total) into small bite-sized pieces.
I like to use white pepper in this recipe but you may also use black pepper; or a mixture of both.
Allow the chicken to marinate at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
While waiting for the chicken to marinate, you can prepare the sauce mixture and cut/chop your vegetables for this recipe (see below).
For the stir-fry sauce, combine 3 tablespoons of chicken stock or water, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
I like to add the fresh ginger and garlic to the wok while the oil is still cold so that it has some time to infuse its flavor in the oil. This recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of julienned ginger and 3 cloves of garlic (minced).
Saute the ginger and garlic until aromatic (about 1 minute).
Add the marinated chicken to the wok in a single layer. Leave the chicken untouched for about 30 seconds to allow it to sear before turning and stir-frying it.
When the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the wok and set aside.
Add 1/4 pound of baby bok choy (cut in half horizontally) and 1 cup of mushrooms (quartered) to the wok. Add a splash of oil to the wok if needed.
Stir-fry the vegetables for about 1 minute until they turn soft.
Note: if you are substituting the bok choy with “harder” vegetables such as carrots, asparagus or broccoli, add a splash of water to the wok to help the vegetables steam.
Return the chicken to the wok.
Stir in the prepared stir-fry sauce, then stir-fry to combine all the ingredients.
Allow the sauce to thicken slightly, then transfer the dish to a serving plate. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions if desired.
Serve with steamed white rice topped with a fried egg and a splash of soy sauce.
Stir-Fried Ginger Sesame Chicken with Bok Choy
- 4 chicken thighs boneless & skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons julienned ginger
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy sliced in half horizontally
- 1 cup mushrooms quartered
- 4 eggs fried sunny side up
- Rice for serving
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Marinate the chicken thighs in sesame oil, soy sauce, cornstarch, and pepper. Allow the chicken to marinate for 20 - 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare the stir-fry sauce by combining chicken stock or water, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and sugar.
- Heat cooking oil and sesame oil (1 tablespoon) in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic to the wok while the oil is heating up so that the flavors are infused in the oil.
- Saute the ginger and garlic until aromatic (about 1 minute).
- Add the marinated chicken to the wok in a single layer. Leave the chicken untouched for about 30 seconds to allow it to sear before turning and stir-frying it.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove the chicken from the wok.
- Add baby bok choy and mushrooms to the wok. Stir fry for about 1 minute. Return the chicken to the wok.
- Stir in the prepared sauce, then stir-fry to combine all ingredients.
- Transfer the dish to a serving plate, then garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Serve with steamed rice topped with a fried egg and a splash of soy sauce.
Other stir-fry recipes you may enjoy