This easy Thai Beef Salad features thin slices of beef on lots of fresh salad greens and herbs like mint, basil and cilantro, all tossed in a tangy and spicy Thai dressing then topped with chopped peanuts for some added crunch.
This post originally appeared in Around My Family Table.
In Thailand, Thai Beef Salad is traditionally served with beef being the main ingredient and the greens (mainly herbs) added just to complement the flavors of the beef. While still absolutely delicious, I love lots of fresh greens in my Thai Beef Salad.
This easy Thai Beef Salad is a great way to get your protein and veggies; and it tastes amazing! It’s the perfect healthy salad that can be enjoyed year-round with hearty beef paired with lots of fresh greens.
The great thing about making this salad at home is that you can use any of your favorite greens and you can adjust the amount of greens in the dish.
HOW TO PREPARE THAI BEEF SALAD
Season 1 sirloin or New York steak (about 10 oz) with salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder.
Sear or grill the steak for about 3 – 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Allow the steak to rest for at least 10 minutes, then cut it at a bias into thin slices.
While waiting for the steak to rest, prepare the sauce by combining 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass, 1 tablespoon sugar (or palm sugar), 1 thinly sliced Thai bird chili, 2 cloves of minced garlic, ½ a cup of lime juice, and 2 tablespoons of fish sauce.
Note: Thai bird chili is quite spicy so if you prefer a less spicy salad, use only half or a quarter of the chili, or omit it altogether for a non-spicy salad.
To mince the lemongrass, thinly slice only the white portion of the lemongrass stalk, then mince the slices with a knife or in a food processor. You may also find minced lemongrass at most Asian supermarkets in the frozen section.
Stir the sauce ingredients until well combined.
Combine 5 cups of lettuce leaves (or any of your favorite greens), 1 cup of arugula leaves, 1 cup cherry tomatoes, ¼ cup sliced red onion, ¼ cup mint leaves, and ¼ cup cilantro leaves in a large serving bowl. Feel free to use a mixture of different greens here.
Stir in the salad dressing and gently toss to combine. Top the salad with the sliced beef and 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Thai Beef Salad
- 1 sirloin or New York steak 10oz
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 Thai bird chili thinly sliced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 cups lettuce leaves
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- Heat cooking oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of the steak with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Sear for about 3 - 4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a plate, then let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Cut the steak into thin slices at a bias.
- Combine minced lemongrass, sugar, sliced chili, minced garlic, lime juice and fish sauce. Stir well and set aside.
- Combine lettuce leaves, cherry tomatoes, red onion, mint leaves and cilantro leaves in a serving bowl.
- Toss with salad dressing
- Top with the sliced beef and chopped roasted peanuts. Serve immediately.
Jumped straight here to the recipe? Please consider coming back to read the whole post when you have the time as I have included step-by-step instructions with photos.