Delicious grilled or pan-fried marinated chicken covered in a rich, bold black pepper sauce.
Chicken Chop is quickly becoming one of my new favorite foods.
The chicken is delicious enough on its own, but adding the sauce takes the dish to a whole new level of YUM! The two common sauces for Chicken Chop here in Malaysia are the tomato-y Oriental sauce and the black pepper sauce.
We’re going to be making the black pepper sauce in this recipe. If you’re looking for the Oriental sauce, you can find that recipe here: Malaysian Chicken Chop
Normally, it’s served with french fries on the side but you can use any of your favorite side dishes. Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is a good option 🙂
Here, I used sauteed baby corn and a simple salad topped with grape tomatoes.
One of the reasons I love Chicken Chop is because the meat is always so tender and flavorful. Chicken Chop is all dark meat – the drumstick and thigh.
Most of the bone is removed from that entire section. There’s just a tiny bit of bone remaining at the end of the drumstick. Watch the video below to see how this cut is prepared:
Skin-on or skinless chicken is your choice. Personally, I like the skin on.
We’re going to start by marinating the chicken. This recipe serves 4 so there are 4 pieces of chicken here. If you’re not able to find the boneless drumstick+thigh, just boneless chicken thigh will work perfectly fine.
It’s a very simple yet flavorful marinade: 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon of ketchup. Combine these ingredients then rub the marinade into the chicken.
Leave it to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to overnight. The longer the better!
Grill or pan-fry the chicken over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes per side until fully cooked (depending on the thickness).
Next, we’ll prepare the sauce. The yummy delicious spicy bold black pepper sauce!
In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water.
Stir well until all the clumps of cornstarch break up. Otherwise, you’ll find those clumps in your sauce.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium-low heat, then add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to keep the butter from burning too quickly.
Add half a small onion (chopped) and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Saute until the onions are soft and translucent, then add your black pepper sauce mixture.
Turn up the heat for just a minute until the sauce starts to simmer and thicken.
Pour the sauce over the chicken then serve with your favorite side dishes.
That’s it! Easy, right?
Chicken Chop with Black Pepper Sauce
Black Pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Mix the chicken marinade ingredients in a small bowl (2 teaspoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon of ketchup and 2 teaspoons of brown sugar).
- Pour marinade over the chicken and gently massage it into the chicken.
- Let the chicken marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Grill or pan-fry the chicken over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper, 1/4 teasoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water. Stir well until combined.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium-low heat, then add 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Add 1/2 a small onion (chopped) and 2 cloves of garlic (minced). Saute until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the black pepper sauce mixture, then turn up the heat. Let the sauce simmer for just a minute. This will allow it to thicken up.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, then serve right away.
Other recipes you may enjoy: