Thai Tom Yum Chicken is a unique spin on the ever-popular Thai soup. Experience the fresh and vibrant Tom Yum flavors in this easy recipe that takes just minutes to prepare but delivers maximum flavor.
If you love the vibrant flavors of Thai Tom Yum and are looking for an alternative to the ever-popular Thai soup, give this Tom Yum Chicken recipe a try!
Tom Yum Chicken is a great way to spice up your grilled or oven-baked chicken. The marinade for this chicken includes Tom Yum Paste and other classic Thai flavors like lemongrass and fish sauce. The coconut milk in the marinade makes this chicken so rich and creamy.
Sprinkle a bit of chopped cilantro on the top, then serve this Tom Yum Chicken on its own, or over steamed rice.
This dish takes just a few minutes to prepare but delivers tremendous flavor.
How to Make Tom Yum Chicken
This recipe calls for 2 pounds of chicken thighs (skin on) and/or chicken drumsticks. Either boneless or bone-in chicken thighs will work. Using dark meat helps ensure that the chicken remains tender and juicy.
Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel before marinating it.
Prepare the marinade by combining 1/4 cup coconut milk, 3 tablespoons Tom Yum Paste (storebought or homemade), 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 1/2 cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 cloves of garlic (minced), and one stalk of lemongrass (white portion only, minced).
Stir or whisk all the marinade ingredients to combine.
Pour all of the marinade over the chicken.
I like to use a large Ziploc bag (gallon-sized) for this task because all of the chicken gets properly marinated.
Seal the Ziploc bag, then gently massage the chicken to thoroughly coat it in the marinade.
Allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour; up to overnight.
Tip: You may freeze the raw marinated chicken for up to 2 months if you’re wanting to prepare it ahead of time. Just defrost it in the fridge one day before grilling/roasting it.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the chicken on a baking dish in a single layer. Pour all of the remaining marinade over the chicken. Leave the chicken out at room temperature as the oven is preheating.
Bake the chicken for 1 hour or until the chicken is fully cooked and the skin is brown and crispy.
If you have a meat thermometer, use it to make sure that the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165 degrees F.
Note: Instead of oven-roasting this Thai Tom Yum Chicken, you may also cook it on the grill at about 7 minutes per side.
Take the chicken out of the oven (or off the grill) and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle some chopped cilantro over the chicken then serve on its own, or over steamed white rice.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an air-tight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator, or in the freezer for up to 5 months.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Prepare the marinade by combining coconut milk, Tom Yum Paste, coconut oil, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic and lemongrass. Stir or whisk to combine.
- Place the chicken in a large (gallon-sized) Ziploc bag, then pour all of the marinade over the chicken.
- Seal the Ziploc bag, then gently massage the chicken to thoroughly coat it in the marinade. Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour; up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken on a baking dish in a single layer. Pour all of the remaining marinade over the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 1 hour or until the chicken is fully cooked and the skin is brown and crispy.
- Allow the chicken to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro just before serving.
- You may grill the chicken instead of roasting it in the oven. Grill it for about 7 minutes per side.
- The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165 degrees F.
- Serve the chicken on its own or over steamed rice.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. This means that if you make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 214mgSodium: 550mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 40g