Oh my yummm….one of my favorite foods – fried chicken. Love love LOVE fried chicken! We’ve been trying to eat healthier so I needed to come up with a healthier version of fried chicken.
This Asian Oven-Fried Chicken is my new favorite fried chicken recipe. Well, it’s a healthy version of “fried” chicken. It’s not deep-fried in oil but rather just baked in the oven! The panko breadcrumbs gives it a really great crunch. And underneath that crispy skin, you get moist and oh-so-flavorful meat. The chicken marinades in hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, honey, garlic, sesame seeds, pepper and sesame oil. I let it sit overnight in the fridge so that the chicken can soak up as much of that flavor from the marinade as possible.
When you’re ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. While waiting for the oven to preheat, coat the chicken in panko breadcrumbs then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 23 minutes, flip the chicken over, then bake for another 23 minutes. Done!
Asian Oven-Fried Chicken
- Place drumsticks in a large Ziploc bag.
- Add hoisin, oyster sauce, honey, garlic, sesame seeds, pepper and sesame oil.
- Seal the Ziploc bag, and massage marinade into the chicken drumsticks for about a minute.
- Let marinade for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll the drumsticks in Panko breadcrumbs. Make sure they’re well coated. Place on to baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 23 minutes, flip the drumsticks over, then bake for another 23 minutes.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.